Polyvagal Institute Training: SEGAN The Sensory Mosaic of Healing: October, November 2022
October 25 - October 27
SEGAN - The Sensory Mosaic of Healing: A Portal into Transformation
DATES: 10/25/2022 to 10/27/2022, 11/01/2022, 11/03/2022, and 11/08/2022
This workshop is sponsored by the Polyvagal Institute. Please watch their website for upcoming times and pricing. https://www.polyvagalinstitute.org/events
This workshop is designed to educate practitioners working in the trauma spectrum on how to integrate the Polyvagal Theory of Social Engagement created by Dr. Stephen Porges in treating complex trauma, wounds of attachment, addictions, and other emotional and physical conditions related to Autonomic Nervous System Dysregulation.
The Polyvagal Theory is outlined and used in this model to explore the Neuroception of Safety in connection with oneself, the experience, and the other. The model supports the movement towards positive social behavior, emotional regulation, and visceral homeostasis.
We will be discussing applications of the Safe and Sound Protocol (SSP) SEGAN Model for pediatrics, couples, individuals, and family systems. The SSP prepares the nervous system to respond to the ‘Essence of Safety’ (Neuroception). The SSP utilizes algorithms that progressively kindles the natural biological rhythms of homeostasis in the Nervous System.
The SEGAN MODEL further allows the client and therapist to develop a narrative that supports transformation and healing. It allows for the identification of a felt sense-based intention that integrates the implicit memory, thereby guiding each individual in repairing their own life story.
When adopting the SEGAN MODEL (Sensation, Emotion, Gesture in colors, Action, and Narrative), the listening sessions are supported by creative activities and movement that encourage state shifting through embodiment, supporting a physiological state that promotes emotional regulation and the organization of the Nervous System.
This model correlates each hour of the SSP to a deeper relationship and organization of our conscious mind, or “I.” It supports the somatic “bottom-up” approach of creating the opportunity for subtle shifts in arousal, inviting imagination and inspiration to strengthen our capacity to become present with ourselves and each other.
The SEGAN applies the principles of “Salutogenesis” by fostering coherence and promoting orientation towards possibilities (something new to happen) and the awakening of one’s “Healing Pathway.”
You may implement this potent model in various settings, including therapy offices, schools, hospitals, residential facilities, outdoors, homes, trauma centers, and community centers.
As a participant in this webinar, through the group activities, you will be able to create your own “Sensory Mosaic of Healing” and experience your life narrative in an inspirational and transformational way. You will have the opportunity to compose your personal journey in a “fabric of colors, movement, poetry, and art.” No previous experience with expressive arts is required in order for you to attend this webinar.
- Name and describe the SEGAN Model.
- Experience and learn the intake layout for the “Sensory Mosaic of Healing” (tracking the “Felt Sense,” and “Felt Shift”).
- Learn how to facilitate the “Color Gesture,” the algorithm of healing that defragments and supports the narrative of Self.
- Describe the five listening hours of the Safe and Sound Protocol as it relates to the organization of the “Self.”
- Learn the movements that sustain the embodiment of each of the listening hours of the SSP – Eurythmy.
What to Bring for this Experiential Webinar:
- 60 inch long silk scarf
- Colored pencils
- Nine pictures from birth to current age illustrating your life span. If you do not have pictures, small objects you have collected in your life can replace them.
- Twelve small crystals (for stacking). You can find an example at: http://cherryblossomreiki.com/store/p45/9_Crystal_Set_with_Bag.html
- If you wish to select your crystals based on the crystal’s spiritual meaning, there are many websites that offer this. An example is: https://crystalearthspirit.com/pages/crystal-meanings
- Two copper balls or pellets that can fit in the palm of your hand. http://www.oldtibetboulder.com
- Beeswax. Suggested: Stockmar modeling beeswax which can be found online
- Soft chalk pastels (not oil) and pastels paper (Honsell Gallery Artist’s hand-rolled – MUNGVO)
- Four copper rods approximately 76 cm (29.9 inches) length and 1.3 cm (0.5 inches) diameter
- 4 caps (0.5 inches) which will be used to hold in the sand inside the copper rods
- 4 cups of sand
- Uriel Aurum Lavender Rose Cream which can be ordered online at:
- Uriel Pharmacy at: https://shopuriel.com/product/aurum-lavender-rose-cream/ or by calling (866) 642-2858
- Rudolf Steiner College Bookstore at: https://rscbookstore.com/products/uriel-aurum-lavender-rose-cream
- A soft and texturized mat for your feet
- A picture of your favorite place
- Large play-silk big enough for you to hide under it
Ana do Valle. Ana is a licensed and registered mental health occupational therapist who has been working and practicing in the field of trauma and self-coregulation for the past 38 years. She has been teaching the SEGAN model since 2017 in the US, Norway, and Israel.
She has been a featured guest speaker at the Pre-Conference at the International Trauma Conference sponsored by Bessel Van der kolk in Boston in 2019. She also has also presented the SEGAN model at the International Safe and Sound Protocol gathering in Atlantic Beach, Florida in 2019.
In addition, Ana is an approved Somatic Experiencing Practitioner Consultant for all levels of students undergoing the three-year graduate SEP (Somatic Experiencing Practitioner) training. She is a Member of the Clinical Advisory Team (CAT) for Unyte, providing quarterly webinars to all practitioners utilizing the Focus System and the SSP, also supporting general program development.
Ana is a graduate of the 3-Year Program offered through the Anthroposophic Psychology training in 2016. And, is certified in Sensory Integration.
For the past three decades Ana has been working with the First Nation in the US, Alaska, and Brazil on the subject of early childhood education, trauma prevention, and healing. This collaboration is on addressing emotional and behavioral dysregulation, addictions, wounds of attachment, and trauma fragmentation.
She holds a private practice, Soma Healing Center in Boulder CO, running an anthroposophical inspired trauma recovery clinic applying Somatic Experiencing, Brain Spotting and Sensory Integration techniques.
Ana works with children, adults, couples and families implementing the SEGAN model with the Safe and Sound Protocol.
Amy Bjorkman, PhD. Dr. Amy Bjorkman is a Licensed Psychologist and Somatic Experiencing Practitioner located in Scottsdale, AZ. Dr. Bjorkman supports clients who struggle with eating disorders, overwhelming anxiety, and depression. She specializes in helping individuals who feel the impact of trauma or traumatic events. Her style is direct and compassionate. Her goal is to help clients find a state of relaxed safety in order to enhance their coping skills.
Karisa Kloscak, MC, LPC-AZ, LPCC-CA, SEP, EAP, RYT-200. Karisa Kloscak is a Licensed Professional Counselor, Somatic Experiencing Practitioner, Equine Assisted Psychotherapist and Yoga Instructor in Scottsdale, Arizona. She is also a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor providing telehealth services in California. Her passion is supporting those who’ve experienced trauma and/or addiction with a motivation to heal and shift. Karisa takes a client centered approach and believes each of us has the ability to heal from within. Her goal is to provide a safe, nurturing atmosphere to allow for positive change.